Many people assume that being in an interracial relationship is full of constant problems and compromises connected to your different cultural backgrounds. However this doesn’t have to be the case; dating someone from a different nationality has its own unique advantages and you could be in for a pleasant surprise.
1. Enhance your Knowledge – Whether your partner teaches you their language, to cook their national dishes or things about their country’s history and culture, simply spending time with someone who has had totally different life experiences to you can be a great way to learn new knowledge.
2. See a New Perspective – If your partner has grown up in a different culture to yours, they may have different values and views to people within your culture. Being able to look at life’s situations from a different perspective can really help you to grow and see things in a whole new light.
3. Travel – If your partner still has family and friends back home, you will probably get the opportunity to visit them at some point. As your partner will already have plenty of local knowledge and will be able to sort out issues such as accommodation very easily, you will have the added advantage of being able to really see the country, stay for longer and probably save a lot of money compared to booking a package holiday.
4. Join a Family – Many cultures have their own unique family unit. You may find that you get welcomed into a really loving family that is very warm and close. Being part of an extended family network can be a really rewarding and bring many advantages both materially and emotionally.
5. Overcome Adversity – If you are in an interracial relationship you know from the start that you may face potential pitfalls and problems such as a culture clash, racism and judgment from outsiders, bad reactions from family and friends, immigration issues or language barriers. If you can get through the early difficulties you will both know that you are in the relationship for the right reasons; this will help to create a strong bond that will last for years to come.
So although there may be some difficulties along the way, these points help highlight some of the many ways that dating someone from a different culture than yours can enrich your life. No matter where someone is from, if you truly care about each other and take the time to learn about each other properly, you are bound to find many more great reasons to be with them.